Monday, August 5, 2013

Don't Go Out in Your Underwear!

What I try to do with reviews at this Bookshelf blog is keep it simple and spoiler-free, and let you know whether I'd recommend you pick up a copy of what I just read. Seems to work okay. This time, a brief review of Don't Go Out in Your Underwear! (Dominie, 1997).


She seems to fly under everybody's radar, but here in Atlanta, we have an author of kids' books called Babs Hajdusiewicz. She's written stories in all sizes and formats, but I think that my favorite of the ones that I have seen is a goofy collection of 67 poems offering sensible and cautionary advice in a very silly way.

"Reviewing" poetry, in the context of this blog and not academic papers, seems like herding cats to me, but I can certainly recommend this collection to anybody who's enjoyed Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends or A Light in the Attic, or, in other words, everybody who reads English. It is a ridiculous and fun and lighthearted collection of imaginative and goofy poems, and a perfectly good way to spend time reading to a child. Find a kid and a comfortable chair, or find your inner kid and do the same. The book's just great.

No comments: