Friday, October 15, 2010

The Muppet Show Comic Book # 10

What I try to do with reviews at this Bookshelf blog is keep it simple and spoiler-free, and let you know whether I'd recommend you pick up a copy of what I just read. Seems to work okay. This time, a brief review of The Muppet Show Comic Book # 10 (Boom, 2010).



You know, I've mentioned a couple of times lately that the only books that I pick up regularly anymore are 2000 AD and LSH and that's not true. I don't know why I forget that I also have a regular order for The Muppet Show Comic Book by Roger Langridge. It's certainly a better book than most, and, if you will, too cool to be forgotten.

This time out, the Muppets host musical guest Howlin' Jack Talbot in a Halloween-themed story. Talbot, composer of some familiar-sounding spooky novelty hits, is a big favorite of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, but their numbers together keep falling apart as Talbot wanders offstage midway through each song. And then this great big dog starts showing up.

That's the main plot, but naturally there are other acts that get stage time, and Langridge has a blast with all of those. He's developed another recurring sketch for the cast of Pigs in Space, in which Link Hogthrob is a 1950s tweed-jacketed paranormal investigator, and these are huge fun. The high point, though, is the Muppet Labs segment, this time featuring a hair growth formula which, tested on Beaker, doesn't seem to do much of anything. Langridge's pacing and layouts are just perfect for gags like this, with every panel a chuckle-filled joy until the payoff.

Absolutely one of the best and most consistently funny books on the stands today, I can't recommend this highly enough. Seriously, start picking up this book if you're not already.

2 comments:

GORE! said...

I picked up the first issue and lol'd through it pretty consistently. Glad to see it's still good. Whenever I start buying comics again I'll have to add it to my pull list.

We missed you at GMX this year! Perhaps we'll see you next year!

G.G. said...

I hope so! Sadly, there just wasn't room in the budget this fall, but I hope Marie and I can come next time.