Monday, June 8, 2009

Crogan's Vengeance

Here's how this works. I read a book or two and tell you about them and try not to get too long-winded. This time, a review of Crogan's Vengeance (Oni, 2008).



I've met the very talented Chris Schweizer a couple of times and he's such a fun, engaging guy that I was really looking forward to trying his stuff. I picked up a copy of Crogan's Vengeance, the first in a projected series of sixteen books charting the adventures of several members of a family who've lived far more exciting lives than you, from Chris at the Fluke mini-con in Athens, and enjoyed it thoroughly. This book presents a tale of piratical action of "Catfoot" Crogan. Later this year, Oni will publish Crogan's March, featuring a descendant's tale in the French Foreign Legion, and, unable to help myself, I've suggested he get to the hard-boiled detective story sooner rather than later.

A nicely-designed and packaged hardcover story, this is a perfect way to spend a long lunch hour, enjoying Crogan's unhappy time in the service of a numbskull, service which abruptly ends when pirates seize the ship and Crogan gets a place among their number, but makes dangerous enemies along the way. Schweizer's eye for research and details really helps sell this story. His loose style took a little getting used to, but I love his inking and all the intricate work in the backgrounds, really making this great fun to dig into and appreciate the artwork as much as the thrilling little story.

How much did I like this book? Well, some years back, I briefly dated this girl out in Madison who enjoys pirate adventures. She and I parted on terrible terms and have only communicated in sneers towards each other since, and yet when I read this a few weeks ago, I found myself wishing she would read it. It's that fun: an all-ages romp that I recommend for you, your kids, and even your arch-enemies, should you have any.

No comments: