Friday, November 16, 2007

The Best of Josie and the Pussycats

Here's how this works: I finish reading a comic collection, and I tell you about it, and I try not to go on too long.



Well, here's the deal: I bought this because I knew the Hipster Daughter would like it (turns out she didn't), and you know, the pre-1980 material has aged amazingly well, and is every bit as entertaining as it was when I was a kid, which is to say, spectacularly. The rather hopeless, quaint naivete displayed in the post-MTV era Pussycats makes for apalling comics, however - contrary to thought, rock bands don't just ride around in a limo until they find a location in which to shoot their new video - and whoever the heck was writing these things after the group's 1970s heyday had no clue what they were doing.

What really chafes is that some early panels were "touched up" with some horrible computer-generated backgrounds, and while the cover art by "Rex W. Lindsey" - notta lotta non-Archie Google hits for that name - gets a credit, not one other artist or writer earns one. Shain and Dave, y'all won't mind if I let Miss Cooper field this one, would you?



Recommended only if, like me, you find actual 1970s Josie comics difficult to find.

(Originally posted November 16, 2007 at hipsterdad's LJ.)

No comments: