Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Emma vol 2

Here's how this works: I finish reading a comic collection, and I tell you about it, and I try not to go on too long.



I won't swear to be totally hooked by this class-barrier romance comic, but I wanted to read something more recent - most of the Japanese comics I enjoy were originally published better than twenty years ago - and something more grounded in visual realism, without the spit-takes and "super-deforming" you see in lots of the popular stuff. The art is completely superb, with a great deal of attention to period architecture and costume. The story occasionally grates; reader sympathy is naturally not going to be on the side of the aristocracy, and I think William's youngest sister needs her ass kicked. Still, I think this is among the better Japanese offerings available stateside, and certainly the best, as far as I can tell, of CMX's licenses. Recommended for everybody!

(Originally posted September 11, 2007 at hipsterdad's LJ.)

No comments: